Author Topic: Mother Nature at it again . . .  (Read 23981 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Mother Nature at it again . . .
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Looks like Mother Nature is at it again . . . blanketing the Midwest with snow, ice and rain.   >:(

Here in Central IL, it's just rain - although, the temperature is hovering just at 32 degrees which isn't a very good thing.  Just praying that this liquid precipitation doesn't turn into an ice rink!!   :o  We're expecting rain today, tomorrow and a little bit on Friday when it then turns over to snow (so they say).

If any of you are doing holiday traveling - please allow extra time, s-l-o-w down your speed, have your up-to-date winter survival kit along with you (including meds), keep a full tank of gas.  If you are flying . . . good luck . . .I mean, be prepared for delays.  ::) You know how it goes with the ripple effect - one airport gets delayed - so do all the others.  Make sure you have snacks with you - they might come in very handy.

Enjoy your holiday weekend - however it is you celebrate.  Be careful and be safe.

Hugs,
Bucky  (who is thankful I'm staying put and not going anywhere!!)
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Katybarstool

Re: Mother Nature at it again . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
Hi Bucky

West Yorkshire is covered in snow and ice. It's really difficult to get to the main roads which are, thankfully, relatively clear. However, there have been some nasty accidents in the south of the country, with a coach overturning, killing two and injuring many in Cornwall. There's also been an aircraft accident, due to the ice. My thoughts are with all the injured and bereaved people.

Like you, I'm staying at home, for which I'm truly thankful.

Hugs
Kathyx

Chickpea

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
Thanks for this Bucky.  The UK has had heavy snowfalls since last Thursday night and the whole country has ground to a halt.  You'd think we were under 5 feet of snow, rather than 5 inches!  Airports are closed, the Channel Tunnel trains got stuck, people are slipping on icy pavements and everyone's in a panic.  

Like you, I'm staying put and enjoying the holiday season right here!

Love to all - Chickpea

Patze

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
Yikes Chickpea!  Like the scene around here, had a good 18 inches hit in a day, and it pretty much shut down the area.  Let's not even mention the refreezing every night, ugh!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Pisces24

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
I'm in Eastern Iowa.  Hwy 20 North = snow , south = freezing rain.  Right now the rain is all starting to freeze.
News said lotsa cars in ditches along Hwy 151. We are supposed to get 1 inch of rain tomorrow here. Lots of air flights are cancelled here and there are power outages all around. So far I have power thankfully but have cranked up the furnace so if I do lose power it will take longer for it to cool down in the house. We even had lights flicker a few times at my work - we do have a backup generator there.

Yes everyone be very careful. It may not look slick but it is - especially at sto signs and overpasses.
Be careful walking -people are a lot harder to "fix" than cars!

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
Hi  :)

I'm in a panic too. Two daughters + partners meant to be coming home for Christmas tomorrow and I don't know if the weather will let them. It's a case of "wait and see".

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
Everyone stay safe!  If you need to run an errand that isn't crucial, just do without whatever it is until the traffic and weather improve.   If you must get out, be careful!  Enjoy your family time and time off from work.   Don't overdo!  Have a merry, loving, relaxed Christmas Day!  Be sure to tell your family members that you love them.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bernice

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Be safe rather than sorry!

And enjoy youselves and you love ones.

For those of you spending the holidays alone I will stop in to visit with you at different points just to let you know you are not entirely alone. Rest up, find some good movies and maybe go out to eat, there will be many out looking for a meal and good company. And just think that some only wish they had other company, some hate to see some of their company coming!

Merry Christmas!

Poochie

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi Bucky,
Merry Christmas!  Yep, here I sit with my computer and cell phone, car loaded with packages, cakes, cookies, assorted items needed for dinner at my daughter's .............................and it's sleeting and freezing rain out. 

So with my son and his family suppose to travel from the Eastern Shore of MD to our daughter's place in PA, we have postponed our get together until same time tomorrow with the hopes Old Mother Nature will co-operate.  PLEASE!!! 

I hope you are spending a wonderful day with family and friends and Mother Nature didn't spoil your plans. 

Hugs, Pooh

Bernice

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »
Hello, and Merry Christmas to all I hope everyone is enjoying their day  even inspite of weather. For us most spent the day shopping only needing a tee shirton, I however had on a light jacket. TODAY!? It's a whole different thang, it's colder out, somewhere in the 40s. I did witnessed a few flurries that happened to fall directly in front of for about a second then poof, gone.

kimboloco

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
12 inches plus here in Kansas City, hope you all are staying safe and warm if it is as nasty there as it is here!

Poochie

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 06:52:54 AM »
Well, just wanted to let all know that Mother Nature co-operated in a way.  The foot and a half snow we had along with the freezing rain and sleet, gave way to all rain and warmer temps.

We managed to all get together and had a great time.  I had all 9 great grands running around and climbing up in my lap or hugging me all day.  It was wonderful. 

However.................................it was also wonderful to get home to the peace and quiet.  I made myself a cup of tea, curled up in my recliner and promptly dropped off into blessed sleep.  Tea got cold, I got warm and slept for about 3 hours. :D  It was a wonderful day. ;)

My prayers for the New Year will be for all of us to have much better days and a easier time of it with this Sjs.  Take care all and to each of you a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hugs and God Bless All,
Pooh

lynnmarie219

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
Sounds wonderful Pooh....both the time with all the great grandkids AND the dozing off peaceful and warm afterward! I'm glad you saw the whole family!

Wishing a Happy and Healthier New Year to you as well!

Hugs to you.....

Patze

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
Ah Pooh, that sounds like the best day possible!  All them great grandbabes fluttering around you the whole day, wow, is there anything better?  :)

So glad to see that the weather cooperated, and that you've been able to get a bit of a nap once back home.

Take care my friend -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

dragontail

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »
Hey I live in Texas since 1976. I am originally from Michigan. It gets close to that at night here sometimes. It has actually snowed here in Houston two years in a row and let me tell you, These people do not know how to drive in it or on ice or in the rain for that matter. I stay off the roads then. It is much safer. One boy was excited from Texas and said he hoped for three feet of snow. ;D I said you aren't from the north are you. He was confused and said three feer is only up to his knees. Thankfully it didn't snow. I showed him what three feet of snow looked like he wa  :o
Looks like Mother Nature is at it again . . . blanketing the Midwest with snow, ice and rain.   >:(

Here in Central IL, it's just rain - although, the temperature is hovering just at 32 degrees which isn't a very good thing.  Just praying that this liquid precipitation doesn't turn into an ice rink!!   :o  We're expecting rain today, tomorrow and a little bit on Friday when it then turns over to snow (so they say).

If any of you are doing holiday traveling - please allow extra time, s-l-o-w down your speed, have your up-to-date winter survival kit along with you (including meds), keep a full tank of gas.  If you are flying . . . good luck . . .I mean, be prepared for delays.  ::) You know how it goes with the ripple effect - one airport gets delayed - so do all the others.  Make sure you have snacks with you - they might come in very handy.

Enjoy your holiday weekend - however it is you celebrate.  Be careful and be safe.

Hugs,
Bucky  (who is thankful I'm staying put and not going anywhere!!)