Author Topic: Chronic nose bleeds?  (Read 1902 times)

darlintxmomma

Chronic nose bleeds?
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
Is sjogren's associated with nose bleeds? I rarely in my life had them and now that I'm having active symptoms, my nose is bleeding A LOT. Its become a daily thing. I dont know if its a sjoggie thing that I just have to deal with or if its dryer winter air, or could be from me having had 2 colds in the last month. I am constantly stuffy since the colds. My blood pressure is usually low so I know its not that causing them.
Anybody else deal with this issue? What has helped?
TIA!
Michelle

Mountain

Re: Chronic nose bleeds?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
Hi Michelle

I'm just newly diagnosed so can't answer your question, but interestingly have noticed my nostrils are drying up and then I get mild nosebleeds, so I'm interested in any replies you get here.  Hope you get some good advice, and recover from your colds.

Lynne :D

Nans

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:26 PM »
Hi Michelle,

Can't say for sure, but my guess would be dryness - from the Sjogren's and with exacerbation from the dry air caused by heating.  If this is indeed the case, then adding humidity to the air should help.  Maybe (carefully) inhaling the vapor over a steaming bowl of water for a few minutes would help.  Using a humidifier might be a good idea too.  If added humidity doesn't help, it might be wise to mention it to your doctor.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:11:45 PM »
Hi Michelle  :)

What does your doc say? I don't think SjS is commonly associated with nose bleeds but we're all different - so I couldn't say for sure. It's not something I've read a lot about on the boards.

I'd definitely get it checked out though.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
I would definitely have a humidifier going.  The winter just dries us out more.

You might ask the doctor about sinus rinses.  You do it with sea salt and distilled water. I has helped me cut down on my sinus infections.  Good Luck.

louisa

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »
Hi
It depends how heavy they are for you? I get a very dry nose which is very sore and not to be too crude, if i go to itch it, it will occasionally mildy bleed, but nothing that is a stream.
Some people are very prone to them but i note you say this is a new thing for you. I wonder if you have an irritated sore which has a rich blood supply? I would get it checked out by an ENT if it does not stop, just to put your mind at rest.
Good luck
Louisa

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »
Hi Michelle,

I would definitely ask your doc about it first to have him/her check it out to insure that nothing else is going on...if not and they can chalk it up to dryness there are several things you could try that may help you.

I have used a Neti Pot also to help keep the sinus areas rinsed, clean, and moist. Saline nasal spray or Ayr (saline nasal gel) might also be helpful. I have used the Ayr and it feels good to use, although it doesn't last long...but there isn't anything harmful in it to stop you from using it often!

Hope you get some relief and get the nosebleeds to stop.  
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

darlintxmomma

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes these are a new occurrance. THey started up about 3-4 weeks ago when the first cold spell came in. I had already had one cold from heck and then over thanksgiving I got another one. At first I thought it was cause of the dry weather but now I'm wondering if I might have a sinus infection that is aggravating it. I have the sinus rinse thing but since I am having some pain in my right sinus (the side that bleeds), I'm almost scared to use it for fear of really pissing things off in there. And the nosebleeds started out light and would just last a minute or two, but now they are heavier and run pretty quick and last about 10 minutes. The weirdest part is they seem to occur at the same time each day. The last 3 days now its been around 11 am. I vaguely remember my FIL (also a sjoggie) saying something about him being most affected in his nose and having frequent nose bleeds. Might need to give him a call and see what he thinks.
I really hopethis is just a fluke and not 'something else' caused by this darn disease.

season

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »
My nose is severely dry and there is always spots of blood in my nose. I use a little vaseline to sooth the dryness. My nose bleeds some also when I blow my nose. It has been this way for 2 years.

SassieCat

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
I worked with a lady who started getting alot of nose bleeds that didn't want to stop.  She had to have some type of cauterization done.  She had the same problem years before and she didn't seem to mind having it done. 

Me myself, when the air is dry (winter time) with the furnace running, I can get minor nose bleeds.  I keep a humidifier running 24/7 and if my nose feels really dry, I buy the generic saline nasal sprays and they work.

Hope that helps!

SassieCat

Poochie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Hi all,
Just dropped in to put my 2 cents in on this nose bleed problem.

First ask your doctor, and if there is no infection or noticeable cause, then try a good humidifier.  Especially at night during the time you sleep.  I have a small one that goes for 9 hrs. on my headboard.  Also a large humidifier in the kitchen/family room.  I use to have moderate nose bleeds.

SEASON: Your statement about using Vasoline is really why I logged on.  PLEASE! do not continue to use this.  It is a petroleum based product and if it gets into your lungs, it stays there.  With us Sjoggie's that a dangerous thing to have happen, because there is no way to retrieve it.  So please try something else.  A lot of us Sjoggie's us use KY jelly, yep, I know it's the wrong end :D but it really works and doesn't cause any problems. 

Pooh

genko_b

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »
I have gotten nosebleeds off and on for many years, and I'm sure it is related to the dryness issue of Sjogren's. There have been a lot of good suggestions here already. Saline spray helps me a lot, and definitely the nosebleeds are worse in the winter when the heat is on in the house.

The best advice is to check with your doctor first before putting anything into your nose, because of potential infections or other issues.

Genko

Wynter

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
I have nose bleeds if I blow my nose to much. Last week, I had a cold, and blew my nose several times and it bled a little. My nose constantly hurts! I tried using AYR saline, but it makes my nose sting. My found a gel product for the nose as CVS. I can't remember the exact name, something like NeilMed. I put in q-tip and swab it my nose. That helps alot.

olmphoto2

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »
I have nose bleeds if I blow my nose to much. Last week, I had a cold, and blew my nose several times and it bled a little. My nose constantly hurts! I tried using AYR saline, but it makes my nose sting. My found a gel product for the nose as CVS. I can't remember the exact name, something like NeilMed. I put in q-tip and swab it my nose. That helps alot.

Yes, Wynter, it's sounds like the same thing that I have been using but in a tube.  I have NeilMed's NasoGel Drip Free Gel Spray for Dry Nose.  It's "Soothing, moisturizing & long lasting saline gel spray with sodium hyaluronate 1%".  There are other ingredients but this is fragance free and has not irritated my passages (only helped a good bit it seems)  and decreased symptoms r/t my nasal passages and sinuses.  And  I have strong environmental and chemical allergy reations.  I'm ready now for a second bottle and am sorry to be without it for a day or two.  The spray is also the single pump type that doesn't pull anything back into the bottle to contaminate the solution, something I particualrly appreciate. I do seem to recall finding this at a CVS store. Here's a link page for NeilMed for these products, if it will post:

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/nasogel.php
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:14:58 AM by olmphoto2 »
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Chickpea

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »
Thanks for raising this issue, Michelle! 

I've had a lot of nosebleeds over the past couple of years and I'm sure they're related to SjS.  They'd happen daily, then more than once a day.  At first they lasted 10 minutes or so but then I had a few that lasted hours.  After I had one at a friend's house I realised that I had to do something about it (my friend got into a panic when I needed a bowl for the blood!).  I went to ENT: they didn't know much about SjS except to say that the nosebleeds could be a dryness issue but were probably connected with inflammation. 

I had my nose cauterised twice and since then I still get nosebleeds most days, but never lasting more than 30 minutes and certainly not the 4 hour ones I was getting.  I've also been severely anaemic for months and the nosebleeds haven't helped, but I don't think they caused it.  Still trying to figure that one out!

Take care - Chickpea