Author Topic: Dry Throat & Esophagus  (Read 2814 times)

Liz D.

Dry Throat & Esophagus
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »
Hi all,

I am just getting over a bad bout with bronchitiis and finally finishing up my antibiotics.  Needless to say, it kicked in my asthma symptoms and I have been using my inhalers more than usual the last couple of weeks.  Because of that, my throat and my esophagus have felt so dry and irritated.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could take or drink to help it?  I use the Biotene gel, but that only helps my mouth.

Thanks,
Liz D.
50 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg., Junel 28 (bc pill), Xanax, Ambien

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry Throat & Esophagus
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
Hi  :)

Ice-cream could feel soothing - or sucking on ice cubes.

Lemon and ginger infusions help to stimulate saliva but may sting a bit on a raw throat.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »
  Hi Liz,  my sympathies...
                 I know how your feeling . I have had a stinker of a cold during the past week,

and my already dry issues  , became really bad  I had the most irritating tickly dry cough..

blocked dry nose, and was feeling pretty miserable and shattered!

I started breathing in the hot,  boiled water each timed I had the kettle on,

and at night I drank a large mug of hot milk & honey in bed..

I did then manage to get sleep, and my dry airways began to feel more comfortable..

I also had a whacking sore on my tongue and an ulcer inside my gum..   so kept douching my mouth with very salty water !         
                                                                     Ugh....What a week !!       Dolly

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Hi Liz

I find gargling with a glass of water after I have used my inhalrs helps the dry throat problem.

Kathyx

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Hi Liz, I sure hope that you feel better soon!

Hi Dolly, yeah, I like to use the steam from a hot cup of tea myself, it sure seems to help open up the nasal passages a bit.  That and throw a bit of honey to sooth the throat in it, yum-yum!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »
A cool humidifier in the house helps a lot. Also, I found a facial sauna on sale and it works really great cause it has a little container that heats distilled water and then I lean over and into the plastic "whatchmacallit" and inhale deeply the warm, moist air.  With the facial sauna you don't have to worry about burning your lungs as it doesn't boil the water. Good luck. Irish ;D

Liz D.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions!!  The cold weather and the heat kicking on isn't helping.  I do have my humidifier in my bedroom, but I totally forgot about my facial sauna I have tucked away in my closet!!  I am sure that will help!  I am going to get that out.   Thanks again!!

Liz D.
50 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg., Junel 28 (bc pill), Xanax, Ambien