Author Topic: A New Leaf Club  (Read 25577 times)

JannaLee

Re: A New Leaf Club
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
I feel off the wagon since promising to join this group:(

Now I'm getting back to it...and will organize a huge stack of papers this very minute!

Love to you all!
Janna

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Kathyx -   I think I fall into the "not the income" bracket.   :D  I always think I can do something if I just had the right tools to do the project.  One of the tools being money!!   :D

JannaLee -  the beauty of this club, if you "fall off the wagon" - we will happily reach out a hand to you and pull you back up by your bootstraps or brastraps - (whichever you prefer).  LOL   ;D   ;D

Don't forget about the "rectangular file" - better known as the trash can!!!   :D

Woohoo - with some Christmas money I received, yesterday I bought two shelving units for the basement.  (I  know, not what you would typically spend Christmas money on - however, if you haven't figured it out by now, I am NOT your "typical" gal.   ;D   ;D)  I have big plans for down there.   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Katybarstool

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
Hello Mrs Bucky

You will be very proud of me today - I cleared out 4 kitchen cupboards. Then I went to bed for 2 hours! But I did it, and I feel really proud.

Kathyx

roetta

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
Just checking in to say that I have done absolutely nothing about organizing my kitchen so far.

But as soon as I switch to part-time I intend to get on that.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Kathyx - good job on the cupboards!!  Every day when I open the two cupboard doors where the plates and bowls are stored I think - I need to take them out and wipe out the cupboard as I can see it is dusty there.  So far, I haven't done it yet . . . next week.   ;) 

Question for everyone - where do you store your spices in the kitchen?  Right now, ours is stored on a lazy susan in a cupboard by the sink which is across the room from the stove/oven.  To me, it would make more sense to put them closer to the stove/oven but I wouldn't think the heat would be good for the spices.  What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of rearranging things in the kitchen to be more useful - just don't know how to do that.  Any suggestions?

I came across a couple good sayings in my Redbook magazine the other day that I liked.  "Give yourself recognition for your organizing accomplishments.  You're more likely to maintain order in a space if you're truly proud of it."  and  "Treat organization the same way you would a diet or exercise plan:  as a lifestyle change.  To maintain results, you have to do a little bit, often."

Have a good weekend.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »
Bucky

I think those thoughts from your magazine are really useful. I'll try to think and act upon them. By the way, I'm no great cook, but keep my herbs and spices in a cupboard to the side of the hob, just aboe eye level. Seems ok to me.

Kathyx

Joy Cox

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Bucky, my thinking on your two cupboards with plates and bowls. Daughter mentioned to me last summer when visiting that there was a brand named, 'Swiffer' and one can purchase the long handle type and refills are available. Wal-mart is where I got mine. Now, here's my brainstorm idea-I'm only 5 ft. tall-is the use the long handle and dust between and around the dishes. THEN, only the top plate and bowl of each stack will gather dust???????   ::) Wash those few and you're done!!     :o     OMG, this idea just came from one that was considered a perfectionist....once upon a time!!! Bucky, you're a sweetheart... just as is my daughter!!!!

Kathyx, As my hubby and I call it, Joy's Joy...the long-handled Swiffer mentioned above to Bucky is perfect to clean the blades of the ceiling fan blades.

EnJOY your weekend... :-*

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »
Today was a very productive day - although, I hadn't planned on doing any of this today.   ;D

We as a family went out to lunch, then ran to the store and by the time I got home I was ready for a nap.  When we pulled in the garage after we'd been out, I mentioned to the boys that I would like the white metal cabinet in the garage to go to the basement.  Well, they put it in the kitchen!!   ::)  So, I decided to wash out the shelves before taking it to the basement.  Son helped me take it to the basement.  Then I started cleaning out all the "stuff" in the pantry that would now go to the basement and into this cabinet (bug sprays, lightbulbs, duct tape, twine, extension cords, gorilla glue, etc.).  Made four trips to the basement.  Sorted everything and put it away in the cabinet (labeling the boxes, containers as to what was inside each).  Now, I have two "extra" shelves in the pantry.    ;D  I then started sorting out stuff in the pantry to make it more accessible - putting the "not used very often" appliances down on lower shelves so they could be reached and maybe used more often.  Put the divided paper plates and paper cups up higher shelves since they aren't used as often.  Threw out some stuff that I have no idea why I was keeping them as they were cracked, etc.  After rearranging everything, I have "extra" room leftover.   ;D

Next, I cleaned out the cabinet by the stove.  Moved the plastic pitchers and a bunch of travel mugs (geesh, they tend to multiply like rabbits . . . we've been given a bunch of these) to the pantry too.  Once the cabinet was cleared out and wiped out, I moved all the spices over to this spot.  Doesn't look too bad.  I'll have to get used to this as they've been in another spot for the last 17-3/4 yrs.

I wiped out the two shelves in the cabinet I took the spices out of and now they sit EMPTY!!   ;D  Not sure what I will put in there.  I can never recall having "empty" space in our cupboards before . . . it's nice!!   ;D

I did all this in three hours and never did get my nap!!   ::)  Actually, after I got going I wasn't as tired . . . I guess seeing the instant results of my work helped to motivate me and keep me going.

The next thing I want to work on this next week is the pans.  Do you guys keep the lids together with your pans or keep them in a rack?  My new range that is coming this week has a drawer in the bottom, so I will be able to put some stuff there.  Maybe the cookie sheets??

I will sleep well tonight.   ;D

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 01:51:43 AM »
Bucky

I feel exhausted just reading about your exploits! Well done you, that's a wonderful achievement. You know those empty shelves will fill up pretty soon. It's amazing how much stuff we have, isn't it?

Hope you are not too tired.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
Be careful what you watch on tv or read before going to bed . . . . I picked up my book, For Packrats Only by Don Aslett and was thumbing thru it.  Don has a lot of good books on cleaning, sorting, and dejunking your life.  I couldn't get to sleep for over TWO HOURS -instead of visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, cleaning and projects kept going thru my head.   ::) I just couldn't turn it off to sleep.

Anyhow, you know how some times when you read something it's as if it was written just to you?  Well, the following is true for me and I thought I would share with you all.  (sorry, this might be a little long, but worth it)

Dig to Display!
The process of dejunking isn't done until the useful is used!

"We too often think of dejunking only in terms of tossing it, giving it away, selling it, or repacking it for another decade.  There's some good stuff stuffed away here and there, and at the time you buried it in that chest or closet you had a reason, maybe a vision of it playing a very special part in your life someday.  So when you come across it during an uncluttering surge, act on it -- get it out of the closet and into use, out of mothballs and onto the hall wall.  Frame it, mount it, display it, enjoy it.  "I'm saving it for later" is about the saddest excuse going.

Why hobble through a second-rate life with your first-rate stuff in storage?  It won't mean much to others when you go, so why not activate it now?  Breathe life (or new life) into it -- don't commit an unintentional mercy killing by smothering it under or in a corner of one of your cobwebbed cabinets!

If those are the good dishes, what does that make these?  Get out your good tablecloth, your good silver, your good jewelry, and the good crystal.  Do you honestly think your great-granddaughter (yet to be born) is going to appreciate those things more than you do?  Appreciate them and enjoy them now -- in this lifetime.  Don't just be a dusty storehouse for all the good stuff."

Hmmmm, wonder if Don has been looking around my house??  :o  In the hall chest I have several pretty tablecloths - never used.  I bought them on "clearance" (what else . . LOL) with the intentions of proudly displaying them on our dining room table.  They are winter scenes of snow and birds - so perfect for this time of year.  My excuse?  But they are too pretty to use  - I don't want anything spilled on them!!   ::)  No worries there - they are behind doors in darkness, never having seen the light of day.   :(   Know what would look perfect on these tablecloths?  The pretty "winter" dishes I have squirreled away in the basement - never used.  I bought them because they too were pretty (and I had always wanted them, bought them with my Christmas bonus from work) and I had hoped to have company over and use them.  Didn't happen as it would be too much work to get the house in shipshape to entertain.  Let's see, the tablecloths are at least five years old and the dishes two years old.   Sad to want things, buy them and then don't use them.   :( 

I bet I am not the only one to do this.  I KNOW my mother bought clothes that she never wore - as we cleaned out her closet with the price tags still attached.  If push came to shove, I bet a person could easily furnish another person something for every room in their house that is sitting unused in our own houses. 

As I have mentioned in previous posts - my intentions this year - 2010 - is to go thru my home and sort, purge and get rid of the excess.  How many dishtowels does one family really need?  Granted, some of these excess items were gifts given to you.  It was not money spent out of your own pocket - however, it does take up space in your home - in your cabinet, hall closet or whereever it is kept.  By the time we finally do use it, it will be so brittle it will fall apart or silverfish or some other bug has taken up residence in it. 

Another good book I have is:  It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh (from the tv series, Clean Sweep).  Like I've said, I KNOW what I need to do, it's just a matter of doing it!!  Wish we all lived closer and we could team up and work together - that would be great.  I am real good at getting rid of other peoples stuff - it's just my own that I have a hard time with.   ::)

Ok - I've got to get moving - I am making progress - s-l-o-w-l-y. 

Bucky  ;D

Bernice

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »
I so want to join this club, BUT I ain't really to commit! My only problem areas are my closet and sheld, now I can commit to the sheld getting cleaned out cause my husband and sons are planning to do this, but that closet of mine is a whole noter story. I need to be geared up to withstand the long hours of sorting and  transfering of tons of clothing that I can no longer fit, having to carry it away. But what I dread the most is trying on most of them only to have my thighs denied entrance to MY clothing! It's too the point I have hard time finding clothes to wear, need to sort through them! Oh I do need to have my carpets cleaned, especially after the holiday visits.

Shoot if my husband would pick up, claen up after himself my house would always stay kept! I have thought about maybe labeling stuff he uses so he knows where to find and replace it.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »
Kathyx -  I thought of you today as I finally got around to wiping out three cupboards today in the kitchen.   ;D  This is a little job I have been procrastinating on for a very long time and guess what??  It only took me 10 minutes to take the plates, bowls and cups out and wipe the shelves down.   Will my family notice any difference?  NO . . . but, I do!!   ;D

In our kitchen we have an attached  "snack bar".  There are four chairs around this snack bar.  Lately, only one person could sit at the snack bar as the rest of the counter had papers, plastic bags and "stuff" piled there.  I cleaned it all today and guess what?  There is actually a snack bar there again!!!   ;D  It is clear of clutter and looks really good.  Makes the room look bigger too!!

Having clear counters in the kitchen makes it look so much better.  Makes me happy.   ;D

I'm going to try really, really hard to keep it this way.  Like anything, it will have to be a constant work in progress, not a one time fix.

Hope everyone is doing well - have a great week.

Bucky

P.S.  My corner cabinet  in the kitchen STILL has two empty shelves in it!!  Yay!!

Bernice

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
My sister just came and dropped off a arm load of clothes she has outgrown! My husband just had to say something when he walked in "Why didn't you tell her you don't have room in your closet for these?"

Men!

Well I did say this to her, but I do at least want to see what's in this load I may like and want to keep!

My sister has good taste in clothes, it's not like my mother has picked out something for me again, I been done stopped her from bringing her outdated stuff. Don't get me wrong my mother is a very well dressed woman, but for some reason what she buys for others makes you wonder!

I kept outdated stuff that she bought me on a regular, not wanting to offend her,so I showed up one time in one of those "outfits" just to let her see me and these clothes don't match! She finally got it!

My husband commented because he used to have to haul off all my mother's freewill gifts. I give to Goodwill, but mostly to young ladies at churches and I don't give anyone anything I would not wear!

Katybarstool

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
Well done Bucky

You must feel that you have really achieved something - having a much bigger room is wonderful! Keep up the good work! I've not done anything extra this week. It's been hard enough struggling with the snow and ice. It looks beautiful, but adding an extra 2 - 3 hours on to travel time to work is no joke.

Keep warm everyone. Can't resist saying, we're off on a Caribbean cruise in 4 weeks. I'm counting the hours.

Kathyx

Bernice

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
Keep warm everyone. Can't resist saying, we're off on a Caribbean cruise in 4 weeks. I'm counting the hours.

Kathyx

Oh! How I wish!