Author Topic: A New Leaf Club  (Read 26445 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
A New Leaf Club
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »
Happy Monday!   ;D  Warning - this is going to be a long post.   :D

Starting tomorrow, Tuesday - December 1, 2009, I am starting a new club.  It's called:  A New Leaf Club.  I am not a person who come January 1st they make a "New Year's Resolution".  For the most part, I think those resolutions are never followed through.  With that being said, I do, however, want to make some changes for myself and my family in 2010.  No more excuses, procrastinating, stalling, ignoring . . . whatever you want to call it.

During our 30 day commitment that we just finished up on November 19th, when I was outside, I watched as the leaves on the trees turned from green to various colors of red, yellow, orange and brown.  Then they all fell off the tree.   :(  Even though we can't see the actual leaves on the trees right now, the tree is already planning for next year when it will bear new leaves and have another season of growing.   ;D  I NEED to be like those leaves.  I NEED to make some changes.

There are a lot of different things I want to accomplish this next year, so I didn't want to put a "specific" heading at the top.  For example, I want to declutter and organize my house.  I've read all the books, watched shows on the subject, I KNOW what to do . . . I just NEED to buckle down and DO IT!!  I am tired of wasting hours and hours looking for things that I know I have, but can't find.  Not only does it waste my time, it wastes my energy looking for them.  Plus, it frustrates me when I can't locate whatever it is I'm looking for.  I have similar items throughout the house and need to get them all in ONE specific spot where they are in a container that is labeled so I can find it (i.e. Christmas items . . wrapping paper, ornaments, cards, etc.).

I want to downsize and pare down all the "stuff" we own.  The more stuff we own, the more time and energy it takes to maintain or keep up with all of it.  I don't need any more trinkets to put on shelves to gather dust.  I want to get rid of the stuff that is no longer used or worn - either by donating them or having a garage sale in the spring.  Enough is enough!

I also seriously NEED to do some exercising.  We have a treadmill that has been sitting in the living room in the upright position for ?? years.  A VERY long time!!  I have Richard Simmons tapes that I can exercise to (got to love the energy of that man!!  LOL).  Anything to get moving is better than what I am doing now.

I NEED to limit my time in front of the computer surfing the web and playing on-line games.  I know I could get a lot more accomplished if I eliminated that specific pitfall for me right now.

What I'm looking for in this "club" is someone else who is serious about making changes in 2010 too.  I don't care if there is just one other person in this club with me - - as long as you are serious.  I don't want any more excuses for myself - I NEED and WANT to do this . . . for as long as it takes.  I figure with 365 days in a year that I should be able to accomplish a lot if I keep working at it.  Granted, this is NOT going to be a "daily" thing . . there will be days we just don't feel well and can't do all the things we want too.  There will be times when we NEED to tend family issues, vacations, sickness, etc.  As long as we pick up where we left off and keep our goal in sight.   ;D  We can post what we've accomplished, ask for suggestions to finish a task, etc.

If you are not into getting your house and life in order - that's fine, this club is probably not for you then.  I don't want "downers" . . I want us to be "positive and uplifting".  I'm excited . . . I hope you will be too.   ;D  I would like this "club" to be a group that helps motivate each other and encourage each other outside of our daily lives living with Sjogren's.  To re-quote from Dr. Phil McGraw:  "The key is to assemble a winning team, and that means making sure all the players are supportive, positive, and helpful.  You need people you can trust and people who can energize and inspire you because there is strength and power in support."

I didn't want to wait until January - I'm starting tomorrow, December 1st - will you join me?

Bucky   ;D
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Katybarstool

Re: A New Leaf Club
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
Bucky

What a wonderful idea - thank you. Please may I join your team? We have lived in this house 13 years, and I have cupboards full to bursting with 'useful things'. I would like to get rid of some of this 'bagage', especially as some of it has memories of my estranged son and his wife, and I need to get rid of those items.

So, I would like to declutter my house, so that I can declutter my own personal bagage - and I need help to do that. Will be looking forward to any tips you can give me. It will have to be a slow process though :)

Kathyx

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »
I am 2nd Buckey, You are singing my song!

My husband would be laughing, because I have been on this crusade for this past month.

It scares him because he lost some very valuable motorcycle parts, on my last crusades  ;)  as you may recall!!   ;D

I have gone thru my closets and his (with his supervision)  ;D. Hauled off about 6 big bags of clothes.

Now the thing I have had my mind on all day, making notes on how to accomplish better organizations of papers, records receipts, bill and current informations.

I NEED HELP on this. If any one has advise on filing and organizing papers of all kinds.

Bucky I am on board.  I told my husband as we cleaned out the closets, " We can't see what we want to wear with all that we don't want to wear in the way."

Yeah, can't see the forest for the trees.  Blow those leaves off and start all over, is that what you said........kind of ??????

Love ya, Buckey

Keep us all shaped up.  Oh yeah I'll meditate on the exercise thing. Get back with you on that. ;)

Blessings , kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

JannaLee

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »
Alright, ALRIGHT!!

I'm in too, dang it!!   

genko_b

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
I'll join you on this. I've been through the house several times to clear things out, the most recent time being when we painted all the rooms, about 5 years ago. It is amazing how things accumulate, isn't it?

Paperwork is always the hardest for me to deal with. I know where everything is, but most of it is unnecessary. When I'm over this flu and have a bit more energy, I'll write up a list of the paperwork suggestions I've gotten in the past that make the most sense.

The main one is that so many of our bills and bank balances are available online now that we don't need to keep all the old bills as a record. Just the last bill, until we get the new bill showing what we've paid. So that's a place to start - throw out all the old utility bills. Bank statements can be thrown out except the year-end ones relating to income tax returns, which means save them for seven years (the limit for audits). That gives you lots of space in the file cabinet for all the papers piled on the floor (ha ha). At least things will look better.

I'll put the rest of my list up in a couple of days.

Genko

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Well, today's the day we turn over a new leaf!!   ;D  I'm happy to have Kathyx, Kimbo, JannaLee and Genko as part of the "club".   It's great to have you ladies along.  :D

Kathyx - this is not going to be a marathon, take as much time as you need to sort thru the "baggage" and get rid of them when you're ready.

Kimbo & Genko, I agree, paper clutter is an ongoing challenge for me.  Since last week I have kept the kitchen counter free of paper clutter - which is HUGE!  It is usually piled there daily.  I have heard numerous times that when the mail comes into the house, sort it over the trash can!!  How true this is . . most of it is JUNK!  So, that's what I've been doing for the last week and it seems to be working so far.   ;D

If y'all DON'T already have a paper shredder, I would suggest you look into getting one.  I shred anything that has our name on it before pitching it in the trash.  Especially receipts, bills, etc.  (ha, that's funny . . that's my problem . . I KEEP everything!!!  ::). . . hoping that will all change in 2010  ;) ).

Today I was outside "winterizing" . . put up the driveway markers, put the animal cage in the barn that was sitting on the front porch, swept the last of the ladybugs off the porch.   After running a bunch of errands this morning and then being outside working - it's very windy here today (big surprise . . NOT!), I'm pooped.  Hmmmm, a nap sounds good about now!   ;D

I placed five classified ads in the local paper today to sell three children's snowsuits and two pieces of jewelry that isn't being used or worn.  Woohoo . . . it's a start.   (and the ads were FREE)   :D

Bucky 

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
Well done Bucky!!

By the way, I also need to declutter my desk at work - how many 'essential iems' does a girl need: heat pad, hot water bottle, can of soup, spare birthday cards, stockings, kettle descaler, moist tissues, first aid kit , wrapping paper...

Yes, I better clear that before I win the lottery and retire!

Kathyx

genko_b

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi folks:

Well I'm fighting the swine flu and don't have a lot of energy for this today, but I did go through the various teas in my cupboard and pitch the ones that are old and haven't been tried in a while. It took about ten minutes.

Now I'm going to answer some letters that have been sitting in my inbox at home.

Neither of those is a sizable dent in a very big project, but it is better than nothing. It makes me feel as though I accomplished something, anyway.

Genko

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
  OK, I'm in, too.   I'm only promising to do it on a small scale at first, so that I won't break my promise (I'm really bad about resolutions!)  I noticed recently that I have some VERY old spices in my pantry.   My intention will be to sort and organize my spices and baking supplies.  I'll make myself toss the old ones and replace them. 
  I think after that I should tackle my shoes.   I only actually wear a few pairs, but for some reason there are piles of them in my closet.
  Good luck to all of you, and thank you for the motivation!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

roetta

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
I'm in. I desperately need to organize my kitchen. I have lids with no pots, pots with no lids, various plastic containers that I don't even use, etc. The other day I spent 45 mins looking for a lid for a casserole dish - all that wasted energy! - and I never did find the stupid thing!

JannaLee

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:49 PM »
I have the flu also but made several phone calls I've been putting off and went through all the mail 'over the trash can'.  Only a neat pile of bills left.

Too bad we don't have access to each other's lives.  I'd love to go through the loot on Kathy's desk!

Love to you all, my dears!
Janna

Chickpea

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
I'd love to join you all in this endeavour.  I'm part way through the process because we're half way through moving house, and it's entailed a lot of clearing cupboards and boxes, the loft, the cellar, the garage etc.  It's taken weeks!  We went through the house room by room mostly getting rid of books: 60 bags to charity shops at the last count.  Then the paperwork; like Genko we realised that you don't need to keep years of bills and receipts.  And clothes that don't fit but might do one day?! (Cheryl - I sorted through my spice rack and found some very old and stale things!)

Much of the time was spent on 'Oh look at this!' and 'Do you remember ...' and there were some sad moments too.  And lots of excuses for things that might come in useful one day, or would be needed when we (finally) become grandparents!

Now we're part moved into a flat/apartment we're realising how little we really need.  We've only brought some of our possessions and I'm wondering why I own three tea cosies, or 12 teapots? If I've only read a book once and I'm not likely to again then why am I keeping it?  The next step for me is to go through each box as we bring it here and find a place for everything worth keeping, and get rid of everything else.  No excuses!  I'd love to live by the maxim 'a place for everything and everything in its place'.

If the current economic crisis has taught me anything it's that we have too much STUFF.  It's shaming that it's taken this crisis for most of us to realise how we've abused our privileged positions to accumulate things that then become a burden. 

Bucky - I really appreciate the way you think of these things and come and share them with us all.  It's so much better to be on this journey together.

Love to all - Chickpea

RobinBat

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
Ok, I am in too! I will commit to small scale, my closets...I too can't find the stuff that fits for all the stuff that does not! After that will move on to something else....Nothing tonight, really tired and my eyes are burning and nose is running, Fixing to rain, think it's allergies acting up...Off to bed early tonight. Had to go to lab for blood work today and almost fell asleep waiting for doctors office to fax RX that was supposed to be there(standing order for cbc) Took over an hour to get the Rx! So Nighty night all!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
Hi everyone.  Welcome Cheryl, Roetta, Chickpea and RobinBat.   ;D

Kathyx - sounds like you've got a little variety store going on in your desk at work!   :o At least it appears you are ready for any situation that comes up.   ;D

Genko & JennaLee - sorry you gals are feeling under the weather with the flu.   :(  Hope you feel better quickly.

Genko - good job cleaning out the teas in the cupboard and answering letters even while feeling ill.   Take care of yourself and don't overdo it.

Cheryl - I bet a lot of us have spices that have been in our kitchens for a looonnnnggg time.  Unless we plan on keeping them as antiques, we should replace them.  I always live by the little jingle my girlfriend uses, "when in doubt, pitch it out!".    I can't believe some of the shoes I keep . . . let's just suffice it to say, a good roll of duct tape "might" help them. Or perhaps pitch them - but they're my favorite, even though I can't wear them when it rains because my feet get wet!!   ::) Pretty pathetic!

Roetta -  oh no, the lid caper has invaded your kitchen!!   >:(  It will be interesting to see where you finally find it (if you do).

JennaLee - good job making phone calls and getting the mail sorted while you're feeling ill.  You need to take care of yourself too and don't overdo it.

Chickpea - wow, 60 bags to charity!!   :o  Did you get some of your 12 teapots as gifts?  You need to have a tea party and give a teapot away with each guest who comes.   ;D  Can you pass them onto your kids?  LOL    Your maxim is EXACTLY what all the organizing people say in all their books. 

RobinBat -  ahhhh, the closet.  They say that a person wears 20% of their clothes 80% of the time!  I know for myself I wash and wear, wash and wear the same few pieces.  Last week I saw this closet in a home that was one of those HUGE walk-ins and it has TONS of clothes in it!  This closet belonged to one person and it had more clothes in it than all three of my family members combined!!  (and then some!)  Waaaay too many clothes!!  Good luck with your project.

Thanks for your kind comment Chickpea.  I'm glad to have the company and inspiration that everyone brings to the journey.   ;D

I have this legal pad with all the "projects" I want to do around the house - it's nice when one by one I can mark them off completed.   ;D 

Here's a "Maxine Says It Best" for y'all - "A household hint:  Stop dusting, and you can use your coffee table as a message board." 

Bucky

RobinBat

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 05:39:14 AM »
Gemko, you inspired me, this am I went to the shelf where my teas were and dug out one I have not drank in awhile, I will try to finish all the old ones before buying too many more. I have several(OK alot) of flavors I have either bought or gotten as gifts that are OK but not great....they get pushed to the back....I will try to use them up!
Cheryl, I sorted spices a few years ago when I got remarried and moved into this house....amazing what you find.....
Roetta, Finally got fed up a few months ago and pulled every container out, If it had no mate, no matter if it was a favorite, I chucked it! Invested in several of the rubbermaid ones that the lids click on. Great! Love them....
Chickpea, Want to do my closets, sounds like you did a great job, don't know I own 60 bags worth! As for Tea Pots, Put on Ebay or something like that....always people like me who buy...LOL! My husband collects Dragonware(old japan moriage).
Ok, I'll add wisdom according to Robin:
Feel free to draw in my dust, but please don't date your pictures!
Dust bunnies never run away from home, they just invite friends and family to move in!
Good luck all, off today and must go food shopping and to Sam's Club, Library ect.....
I'll check in again tonight.
RobinBat