Author Topic: Laughter is the best medicine . . .  (Read 47855 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Laughter is the best medicine . . .
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
This thread borders on the "social" board, but I feel it helps our overall healthy well being that I have posted it under the Discussion Board.

Laughter . . . who doesn't feel better when something strikes their funny bone and it brings a smile, chuckle, belly laugh or tears (or on occasions a snort . . LOL)??   :D  Laughter is one of those stress relieving things that can change your mood in an instant.  Have you ever been in a stressful, tense environment when someone "lightened" the mood by telling a joke?  Laughter lightens the mood.

I come from a joke telling family.  My Dad loves to tell jokes.  IF we don't laugh the first time, he will repeat it!   ::)  We'll tell him "Dad, we got it it the first time!".  LOL

So . . . here's the deal.  This thread is about jokes or life stories that have brought laughter or smile into your life that you would like to share.  I am not the "host" of this thread . . just starting it.   :D  Let's have fun with this and also help bring some laughter into our lives on this Sjogren's road journey we're all on where some times in our health issues there is nothing to laugh about.

This is short notice as I just decided to start this thread this morning after reading Irish's reply to a question about pillow talk.   This is something I found real quick in one of my files.

A friend was in front of me coming out of church one day, and as always the preacher was standing at the door shaking hands as the congregation departed.  He grabbed my friend by the hand and pulled him aside.   The preacher said to him, "You need to join the Army of the Lord!"  My friend replied, "I'm already in the Army of the Lord, Preacher."  The preacher questioned, "How come I don't see you except for Christmas and Easter?" He whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."     

Bucky   ;D
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

cindyh

Re: Laughter is the best medicine . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
That was the laugh I have been looking for all day.  Thanks

roetta

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
That was great!!    :D

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »
Bucky,

That was cute.  Maybe you should give us the joke of the day.  We could all use a little extra laughter in our lives.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
Bucky,

I have only one real joke that fits into my joke memory department.

here goes:       Why did the armadillo cross the road........ to show the chicken it could be done.

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »
Oh , I am embarrassed,

I told it wrong....

Why did the chicken cross the road...... to show the armadillo it could be done.    ;D

I have never seen a live armadillo,  lots of live chickens though. 

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Epson

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:28:30 PM »
Kimbo,

Don't you live in Arkansas?  And you never saw an Armadillo, their all over the place, rats on a half shell is what we called them.

Patze

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:56:36 AM »
Thanks Bucky, that was a good one! :D

Hi Kimbo, you've never seen an Armadillo living down that way?

Hi Epson, a rat on a half shell?  Now that's a good one!! ;D

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »

Southern Terms

Benign . . . what you be after you be eight.
Bacteria . . . back door to cafeteria.
Barium . . . what doctors do when patients die.
Cesarean Section . . . A neighborhood in Rome.
Catscan . . . searching for kitty.
Cauterize . . . made eye contact with her.
Colic . . . a sheep dog.
Coma . . . a punctuation mark.
Dilate . . . to live long.
Fester . . . quicker than someone else.
Fibula . . . a small lie.
G.I. Series . . . World Series of military baseball.
Hangnail . . . what you hang your coat on.

This is part one of Southern Terms, I'll have part two tomorrow.  Got to have you keep coming back!!   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Pisces24

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
Here is a funny true story for you that kinda emphasizes the old Midwestern attitude.

I am a small size gal and didn't hit over 100 lbs until after college. About that time,  dad mom & I used to like going to auctions. We went once to a nearby little town aucton. I went over to get a soda and came back to find my dad talking to an elderly farmer. "This here your daughter?" he asked my dad. "Yep" dad replied.  "Ya married? Have any kids" he asked me. "No" I said. "I am single".  Then he proceeds to look me up and down and I think ok a compliment is coming - I got a nice smile or personality or something. Well the farmer says "Well, It won't take much to feed ya!".  ???

In later years I finally recognized that as a compliment as more work could be gotten out of me than the cost to feed me - a plus and a real true compliment. I used to kid dad about the guy going home and saying "Son. I found just the gal for you". When the son wants the particulars the guy just says "It don't matter. It won't take much to feed her".

Bless that farmer's honest Midwestern heart.  ;)

Nans

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
I've got a good one.  It happened about 20 years ago and it still makes me smile.  My middle child (yes - it's true what they say about them) was 3 or 4 years old at the time.  We were at the table eating supper and he asked me to pass the mashed potatoes.  I said, " You forgot to say the "p" word."  He thought a second, gave a puzzled look and then said, "Penis??"  I tried to bite my lip and not laugh but I couldn't and my husband and I just lost it.  Just further proof that the xy's are born that way!!   ;D

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
Oh Nans,  how FUNNY!    Dinner table talk with toddlers......priceless.
Hashimoto's

Poochie

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
This I heard just the other day when I met up with a friend of mine in WalMart.

We got to talking about "getting old" and she told me a story about her grandson.  She said he came up to her while she was sitting in a chair watching TV.  He took her hand and was looking at it.  She ask him what he was looking at and he ask what the spots were on her hand. 

She told him they were "getting old" spots.  He continued to rub his fingers over them, then looked up at her and said "Nana, I know you have to get old, but do you have to get moldy too!"
Out of the mouths of babes. :D :D :D

Pooh

lynnmarie219

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »

Thanks for all the smiles everyone! How fun! We won some tickets recently in a silent auction and 4 of us went to a comedy show last night in Chicago....and did we laugh...it was great....laughter is truly the best medicine!

Katybarstool

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Got to tell you this one.

Many years ago when my boys were about 7,6,5, we were on a bus. Out of the blue, son No 2 asked, 'mummy, where do babies come from'. Eek, a full bus of people were waiting for an answer. Thinking on my feet, I said 'They come out of mummy's little pocket' (Well, wht would you have said? )The whole bus cracked up.

I often wonder if my kids thought their mummy was a kangaroo ;)

Kathyx