Author Topic: Anyone notice prednisone acts like diuretic?  (Read 5570 times)

RobinBat

Anyone notice prednisone acts like diuretic?
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
Has anyone noticed prednisone acting like a diuretic? I seem to have to "pee" alot since went on the pred. It is worse than lasix! In and out, liquids don't stay around for long! And since I drink alot(dry mouth) I spend alot of time running to the Potty! :o Is this something anyone else has noticed?
RobinBat

Oh, by the way how do you get the smileys to show as smileys?

Babs659

• "LIVE YOUR LIFE"
Re: Anyone notice prednisone acts like diuretic?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
I have not noticed that effect myself  :)

Click on where your smiley should go then click on the smiley
52 year old female with Sjs, Hashimoto's, hypertension, osteopenia, rosacea, Raynaud's, GERD, ANA homogenous 1:1280.  Plaquenil, Synthroid, Evoxac, Aciphex, Quinipril, Vit D.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
Diuresis is indeed one of the more common side effects of Prednisone, not to the extent of a true diuretic, but many people have an increase in urination.

Your doctor should be made aware that you have experienced this effect, because he may want to closely monitor your blood electrolytes. In some cases, the increased urination may be either a cause or an effect of dropping potassium.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Michele C

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
Been there and done that for 23 years now. I was diagnosed when I was 15 yrs old and have been taking prednisone on and off for the last 22 years among many other medications. I feel your pain  ;D

RobinBat

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
 :)Thank you all! Glad to hear I am not nuts....Cut down to 3 a day and am having more swelling...will I ever get my wedding rings back on???? I feel naked with no rings on. Am plodding thru with the pain, learning to do more left handed. First thing in morning at night having alot of pain, stiffness and difficulty with my shoulders,wrists and hands. At least my hips, and knees and feet are improving....maybe the methotrexate is doing something, although I think it is too soon. Guess it's just the weeks of pred.
Thank you all for letting me vent and ask my questions ???

irish

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:59:29 AM »
I only take 10 mgm Prednisone every other day, but when I first started this 5 years ago I noticed the diuresis. It has become less noticeable as the years have gone by. Irish ;D