Author Topic: Is There any relation between Gerd and Sjogrens?  (Read 3781 times)

Billydude

Is There any relation between Gerd and Sjogrens?
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
I've struggled some with gerd but never really discussed it with my doctor.   I've been having an especially hard time with it the past few months and its getting worse.   I can never make it through the night without waking up in a coughing fit with a feeling of phlem in my esophagus?   I'll be seeing my doctor on Tuesday but wondered if it was especially Sjogrens related.

DesignerS

Re: Is There any relation between Gerd and Sjogrens?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
I have had Gerd for quite a few years, but the past year it is horrible.  I used to get away with taking tums or Pepsid.  Now, no matter what I take or eat, I wake up choking every single night.  I am guessing it might have something to do with Sjogrens.  Anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Designer

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »
~elizabeth~ posted this link in another thread, and there is some interesting information about the corelation between SjS and gastric problems.

http://www.webhealth.co.uk/a_to_z_of_health/sjorgens_syndromerm.asp
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
I have to say a resounding YES.  I seldom had indigestion before Sjogrens, maybe a couple of times a year.  I ate right before I went to bed and it never affected me.  Now, I struggle constantly.  I will be scoped for the third year in a row tomorrow.  I've had esophagitis and my GI doc said that people with Sjogrens will often need daily medicine because of the dryness and motility problems.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

tribemom

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »
I started out with heartburn/reflux after anything even slightly acidic. Then it was with bland foods. My doctor started me on 40mg of Prilosec every morning. It comes in generic as omeprazole. The cost is significantly less if it's with a prescription from a doctor and using your health insurance prescription benefit versus over the counter costs.

It has been a lifesaver.

Hope you get yours treated/under control soon. Have a great week!

Tribemom

Nans

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »
GERD is what prompted me to go to the doctor and he ordered blood work that eventually lead to my being diagnosed with SjS with a possible lupus overlap.  I did not have heartburn but a very annoying discomfort in my esophagus.  The PPI he put me on helped a lot.

Bernice

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »
My doctor says YES!

irish

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »
You betcha!!! The simple explaination is that sjogrens dries the secreting glands and the mouth, esophagus, stomach and intestines have secreting glands. The saliva helps to dilute the acid in our stomach and when there is no saliva we get the heartburn from heck! Then to top it off we get some muscle issues in the GI tract and up comes that darn acid. The drug companies are making lots of money off us sjoggies.

I have tried drinking water on occasion to dilute the acid in my stomach and it helps sometimes. Also will use the Mylanta,etc when I have breakthrough heartburn. I take 40 mgm of Omeprazole at bedtime. There is also a drug called Carafate that can be diluted in water and drank to coat the stomach. It works well but need to watch as it interacts with some meds. If you are really in trouble with the heartburn though ask your doc about it as it really works good. Irish ;D

Babs659

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:44 AM »
Count me in.  Nans, I know exactly what you mean about the annoying feeling in the esophagus.  It feels like a big air bubble is rising up and choking me.  I've been on Aciphex twice a day and it helps, but doesn't eradicate it.  The gastroenterologist even conceded that reduced saliva contributes to GERD.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:40:55 PM by Babs659 »

voiceteacher

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »
I've had GERD for years - even years before a sjogrens diagnosis or serious dry mouth.  In looking back, I've had a lot of things that could be considered due to sjogrens but each on its own doesn't add up to much.  My diagnosis was really fast - ONCE I got the dry mouth.  At any rate, I take 40mg of nexium twice a day and that USUALLY keeps me under control where I can eat most anything - - for some reason, that does NOT include raw green pepper and now REALLY spicy salsa.  Unfortunately I like spicy/hot food but it's not worth it anymore due to stomach and tongue sores.  The insurance company balks at the cost of the Nexium and every six months my dr has to write a letter stating that nothing else works for me - - he's a gem - - he's 60 years old now - I'm hoping he doesn't retire for at least 10 years - he's a real worker and not likely to retire anytime soon - -

Voiceteacher

Epson

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
When I was dx with Sjogren's the doctor had me take a barium swallow test.  He said that Gerd was common with Sjogren's patient.

Jules48cats

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
I agree with all.  I have had reflux and a hiatial hernia, before I knew I had SJS.  Recently I have gotten new insurance and had to wait to get my protonix refilled, ( they had to pre-appove it)  The pharmacist sold my husband an over the counter drug, that was not very effective.  We went out for Chinese food, and after we were done eating,  I had an attack where I just could not stop coughing and the phlegm got so thick it was choking me.  I tried to drink water to settle it, and then I excused myself and went outside, because I was afraid I was going to really be sick.  Now I am back on the protonix Thank heavens.   
The other thing I noticed, is I can no longer stand to eat anything hot or spicy,  my whole mouth and throat burns, and nothing seems to take it away.  I have learned to be very careful what I eat. I too used to like hot peppers and hot wings.
Jules

Billydude

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
Thanks all.  Its good to know I'm not alone.   I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow and I hope to get it handled.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:04:12 AM by Billydude »

~elizabeth~

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
Does anyone else have hiatus hernia with SjS? I don't (yet) but a lot of relatives do. Wondering if it could also related to connective-tissue complications of Sjs?

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
Hi  :)

I have a hiatus hernia but my doc reckoned it will have developed during pregnancies. I have a very short waist and all 4 pregnancies will have pushed the stomach upwards. I certainly suffered a lot of heartburn while pregnant.

Mybe there's a connective tissue link but I don't believe in blaming everything on SjS. Lots of people suffer haiatal hernias and most don't have SjS.

I think we possibly have extra problems in as much as our stomach acid is not as dilute as many people's because we are not swallowing the same quantities of saliva.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!