Author Topic: Stress and Sjogrens  (Read 3021 times)

Marmotte

Stress and Sjogrens
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:33:35 AM »
So, what relationship does this affliction have with stress? I've been told repeatedly by different people, from my hubby to my GP, that my symptoms are caused by stress.

Which makes it my responsibility..... if only I didn't let things stress me, I wouldn't have all these annoying symptoms.

I've never thought of myself as indulging in a lot of stress. But maybe it's silent stress that I don't realize I have. But somehow I can't believe I've let stress get so out of hand as to cause all this junk.

Any thoughts?

~elizabeth~

Re: Stress and Sjogrens
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:51:52 AM »
No, I don't think that makes stress your responsibility, or that's it's ever one's own fault. Stress usually comes from things one has no control over in life. Pressures are often put upon one by other people (at work, at home, or in personal pursuits), or by circumstances (bereavement, illness, job loss). Stress is an integral part of life; most people can cope with it, some people thrive on it, but if you have physical or metabolic problems, adrenalin starts to interfere with the way your body works. At end of the day, the main problem is still that your body doesn't work, and the physical changes that occur when we are suffering from a stress episode makes it work even less well.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »
I am not at my home computer so I am not able to cut and paste my information on stress. Stress is part of the pain cycle as I remember. It leaves toxins in our tissues which increases our pain levels bringing about more stress. It can be a vary vicious cycle. We can move these toxins with stretching, massage, water, antioxidants, and peroxide therapies. DO NOT TRY PEROXIDE THERAPY WITHOUT MEDICAL SUPERVISON. Some supplements will detox our systems as a by product of what they normally do.

I will use the "I am calm" breathing meditation daily to break the stress cycle along with other options mentioned above. Some people prefer "I am relaxed" but that has proved to stop hearts in tests.

Some of the reports that I have read indicate that fibro may be caused from fluoride poisoning. The Gulf War Vets that believe this have used Chelation therapy to remove the excess fluoride from their system. Chemical toxins do cause stress. and it will take about three to four months of this to bring the toxin levels down to where they can tolerate them. Floride is found in a lot of the medication that the DR's Rx.

While I do not know what is causing your stresses. You can make a game out of finding them and defusing them. If it is an allergic reaction to tomato's, do not eat tomato's. If it is a stressful work environment find ways to destress it.

Norman Cousins recommended watching slap stick comedy and laughing more. Laughter is a great de-stresser. The endorphins that are released will help move the toxins out.

Sorry I got too long winded even for me to read.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

wen.uk

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
Hi Marmotte
Sounds like you're getting stressed thinking about stress!!
Must be honest with you over the past years I've had periods of intense stress in my life that didn't make my SjS any worse or put me into a flare situation.  Also  I've had terrible flares when I've been totally stress free with no hassles or worries.  So up to now I don't think stress has played a part in the illness for me, it just comes and goes when it pleases without any warning!!!
Wen x

Marmotte

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:03 PM »
I don't feel "stressed" and I'm sure I'm not acting stressed. So I feel sometimes like this is a convenient way for people to dismiss my symptoms. But maybe I should play it up and insist that I need a couple of months in Hawaii or Cancun so I can "destress."

Say, the more I think about that, the more I like it....

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
Marmotte,
  I do believe that stress triggers or worsens my flares.  I agree with Elizabeth, though, that you can't control stress from outside forces.  Is your husband ready to take on enough of your responsibilities to lessen your stress load?   That would be helpful.
Cheryl

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
When all else fails remember . . . . desserts is stressed spelled backwards!!!   ;D   ;D  Indulge!! 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Marmotte

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »
No, you're not hearing me. Oh well. Guess I was just grumbling, anyway.

~elizabeth~

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:59:09 AM »
Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I don't think you HAVE to be stressed to get flare ups. I'm sure sometimes they are completely random, or sometimes triggered by viruses. We could sit around all day just resting and relaxing, but that would never cure the problem. I don't think it's up to anyone else to tell us why they think we are ill.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »
Lets not confuse physical stress with emotional stress, either. Sometimes a person can be emotionally totally calm, but the body is responding to some trigger that increases the adrenal production of cortisol resulting in physical stress.

Pain, fever, exercise, even that overfull feeling from a big dinner, can cause physical stress to some degree, imagine what all the SjS issues can do!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

John in LA

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
Marmotte-
Stress can cause flares.  Earlier this year my symptoms were working their way into remission when my wife ended up in the hospital for 5 days and another stay one month later.  I was the caregiver for about 3 months and about the time she recovered my symptoms were all back.

The stress came on without me realizing it.  I thought I was handling the situation very well.

I was able to reduce my work load am doing better.

I found the best thing for my stress was a 30 minute nap during the day and plenty of sleep.

John

DesignerS

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »

Hi Marmotte:)
I am actually experiencing the result of "good" stress today by having a flare.  I have many changes, all good, coming up in my life.  Hubby retires in 7 days, first grandbaby in 4 weeks, etc.  I found myself so excited yesterday, with adrenaline flowing for sure, and I woke up today and could not move.  I hurt so bad and am exhausted. 
And then other times, I am completely relaxed and have a huge flare that lasts for days.  Personally, I just think the chemicals in the body during a stressful time, tip the scales and bring on a flare...sometimes:)

Designer

Bernice

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »
I agree stress can trigger a flare. Think about it when we get stressed our muscles tighten which leads to pain and tiredness. A mild espisode of stress can do all kinds of things to a body without the body even being aware.

Sometimes when those around me at my job get on my very last nerve I find myself in a tight knot, even stop breathing for seconds at a time. I am a laugher, I laugh at something even when I'm by myself, always have. It's a distraction from stress, yes, but it does not totally relieve the stress because whoever is bothering me is still there. My biggest stress is trying NOT to hurt somebody's feelings even though I got a million and one things I could say, wanta say back at them! I know I'm getting tired! And that ain't a good thing, it normally means I'm about to blow and get that person off of me!

Stress = P A I N S + F A T I G U E + C O N F U S S I O N

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
Marmotte,

Barbara Ehrenreich's book Bright-Sided addresses what I think you are talking about.  When people claim that a mind-body connection causes disease, they do imply (even if they don't mean to) that it is the sick person's fault that he/she suffers.  If only he/she would manage stress/think positively/whatever, then he/she would be or get well.  Some people say these things to be nice (to give a sense of control to the sick person), but it can also be passive-aggressive ("I don't need to feel bad for you, because your illness is your fault"). 

We did not choose to be sick, and we do not choose to stay sick.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

navydad

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »
Stress is like a old friend to me,, since all this misery started and new things crop up almost daily,, how can one escape stress, now that cold weather has set in,,, I stress about how cold my legs will be,, how to dress,, how do I drive to work when I have a hard time feeling the pedals,, enough stress?, come home exhausted,,barely able to function,, and thinking how can I do all this again tomorrow without wondering,,if I dont,, how long will the bank let me live in my home before they come and take it,, if one is fortunate enough to only have the dry eyes and dry mouth,, count your blessings,, seriously,, get on hte floor and thank God,