Author Topic: To Work, or Not To Work...  (Read 17467 times)

jordozmom

Re: To Work, or Not To Work...
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 06:46:16 AM »
Jordozmom

I still have been procrastinating on submitting the papers to go back to work.  Apparently it is not as simple as getting a note from my doctor and going back.  Because I left on disabilty (or else I would have lost my job due to too much absence), I went through all the steps to be able to collect my disabiltiy/pension from where I work.  I am not under social security.  So for me to go back, I need to submit a letter requesting that I would like to return, along with my doctors note that it is okay with them.   Then this will go before a review board and they will have me see one of their state doctors who will determine if I can return and under what limitations.

Needless to say, the whole thing makes me anxious and nervous.  I am somewhat afraid of becoming the crippled person I was a year ago and enduring the #10 scale pain.  I don't want to be defeated by my body again.  But on the other hand, money is tight and I feel the 'need' to be able to survive.  So..... here I sit and here I keep thinking about it and weighing the options out.   :'(

SassieCat - I can totally see where it would make you anxious and nervous.  I noticed you said you are afraid of becomming the crippled person you were a year ago - does that mean that you are feeling better now that you are not working? And I don't know if you are like this, but I can see myself just like you are right now - not working but still worrying about it, tossing it back and forth (money is tight and I should go back to work, but if I go back to work I will feel crippled again, but if I don't then the money is so tight) - and I would end up not actually getting any rest anyway because I'm so stressed out and anxious about the decision.  But a #10 scale pain - I sure hate to think that you would have to endure such pain again; it sounds pretty miserable.  Well, you take care of yourself, Dear!
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

roetta

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
Irish, what program are your sons using?

Rhonda

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
Jordozmom I certainly understand where you are.  I am still working and try to determine if I should go out on disability.  It is a huge decsion and not one to take lightly.  I have been on vacation for a week and am surprised at how much better I feel after just a few days off.  I have at least some energy instead of none now.  It's a shame we have to decide between being financially strapped and feeling good.  Some choice, huh?  If you were suffering pain on a scale of 10 while working, and it is less now, I can see where you would have a great deal to consider.  I know you will make the right decision. 

SassieCat

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Along with the SjS, I have fibro, 6 herniated disks in my back, arthritus in my back and have had back surgery a few years ago.  When one thing acts up, it seems to have a domino effect on the others and the pain just blossoms.  Add to that, a job that required a lot of bending, stooping, walking, standing, for 8 hours and a doctor who had me on too many meds.

I was at the point of losing my job, my fmla ran out.  But, as all this was going on, the rheumy discovered that I have SjS.  So at the beginning of last year, I started the Plaquinil and was at home.  Things have mellowed out ALOT.  The symptoms are consistently about 70% better than I was.  So, yes I am still debating on returning to work with restriction of no lifting, bending and stooping as these can hurt my back and the pain flare up's just start up.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
Roetta, One son is following Dave Ramsey's plan. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. Dave is on the radio on the AM dial--in MN he is on from 6-9PM answering questions that people call in. It is extremely interesting and also good advice on how to get out of debt. Lots of self control and denying yourself much of anything except the basics until you are out of debt. Many people are paying their homes off also plus credit cards in order to become "debt free". Oh, I guess Dave is also on Fox Networks business station. We don't get that so I don't know what kind of show he has there.

I am afraid I can't remember the name of the program that my other son follows. I would know the guys name if I heard it but have a bad memory. I know that if you would google you would find some good sites to visit. Dave Ramsey.com or maybe org is a good site. Good luck! Irish ;D

eyeamdry

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »
Irish, my sister is a follower of Dave Ramsey.  My sister and BIL  have a beautiful house on a lake in Michigan and just bought a second BRAND NEW 4 bedroom house in Fla.  They are now snowbirds.  I'm sure the house in Fla was a good deal as my sister is a skinflint.  But, I get go to Fla and have a free place to stay, thanks to Dave Ramsey.  Lucy

harlin

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »
hi all, I have finally made a decission. I am turning in my resignation this evening. I have an eye apt at 3:30 and then I am suppost to meet with my boss after that. I am so nervous about quiting I hope I am making the right decission. I will be a nervous wreck about telling her.  ???  But i hope some of the stress is going to be over!!!
wish me luck!!
harlin

jordozmom

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
hi all, I have finally made a decission. I am turning in my resignation this evening. I have an eye apt at 3:30 and then I am suppost to meet with my boss after that. I am so nervous about quiting I hope I am making the right decission. I will be a nervous wreck about telling her.  ???  But i hope some of the stress is going to be over!!!
wish me luck!!
harlin

Harlin - I think that is fantastic!  You take care of yourself and be sure to keep us posted on how you are doing. 
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

Rhonda

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
Harlin,  Keep us posted.  Good Luck!

SassieCat

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
Good Luck Harlin!  It may take a little getting used to, but you'll be fine!

roetta

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
Good luck, Harlin! I know you are nervous, but it will all work out. And just because you quit work doesn't mean you can't fill time with other things you love.

harlin

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
Well I did it. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. Lots of tears [but I am a cryer anyway] My boss said she was expecting it but still wouldn't make any concessions. I told her everyone on heres boss let them work part time. she wouldn't budge!
At least that is behind me. I was a nervous wreck. I came home and slept like a baby. I guess the pressure of that is over.
I went to eye dr before I told my boss.
They put me on Restatious and a steroid for my eyes. Said I have a blurry spot upper right corner of right eye. He is going to do a mapping in 1 month to see if it is the plaquinel related.
I probably will be on here alot bugging the heck out of everyone for something to do now since I have time on my hands. I'll try not to be a bother. :o
love to all thanks for listening
harlin

Bernice

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Thata Girl Harlin!!

Look I probaly will be joining you soon, shoot I am tired of the stress, it's starting to wear me out! My work is not hard at all, but some of the people bring too much drama, mainly my boss!! Too much negativity!!!!
I have been in a constant flare of some kind since he has been there, lil over a year. For me mine involve my church and faith so It's twice as stressful, harder to seperate, too many there that I lOVE and to leave them AGAIN ain't easy! But they done brought a luantic in there, now we all are paying the piper? If that one person would just go away my world would be a better place. It has come down to either him or me and since he's the boss I guess it'll  be me leaving. We don't augue or anything I don't disrespect him as boss, I just can't stand to watch how he is misusing everything and everybody for his own use as pastor.

Anyway Harlin, Girl you can give a shout out anytime you need to holla! 8) ;)

harlin

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »
Thanks Bernice
I still have reservations but I think I will be ok, Looking forward to watching the gkids 2 days a week. something I have wanted to do since they were born. I need to get my house in order again [hasn't been done for years] I think I just might like being home.I hope ???
Thanks to all who REALLY listen. Not many people listen or understand.
Good luck with your decission. I to have friends that I will miss and love. I guess it is just one of the things that goes along with quitting. We all need to get rid of the stress in our lives and live for today as long as we can.
Blessings and hugs to all
harlin

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
Harlin - you did it!!   ;D  I'm sure you were very nervous waiting for "the talk" - I'm sorry your boss wouldn't even consider part-time work - I say, her loss.  It has been just over a year since I left my job and EVERY day I do the "Hallelujah, yay dance" that I don't have to deal with the added stress of working.  There was a time where I really enjoyed going to work - I liked the people I worked with.  Then two things happened:   1) we got a new boss who changed everything and made life difficult for everyone  2) SjS made itself known.  Going to work wasn't fun any more and I dreaded it.  The money I brought home wasn't worth it.  The day I gave my notice the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders.

Enjoy the time you will get to spend with your grandchildren - that's time you can't "do over". 

Take care - hope there are happier days ahead for you.

Bucky

P.S.  I am so, so sorry for those of you who quitting your work isn't an option.   It's tough and my hats off to you.  Hang in there.
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)