Author Topic: Splitting skin on hands  (Read 1838 times)

jaygee

Splitting skin on hands
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
Another, does anyone else have this  ;D

In winter, my hands go really dry.  The natural creases on the palms start to split  ::)   At the moment, I have what looks like a paper cut on the side of my thumb.  It's a split and they don't mend easily.

I use lots of hand cream, and put on a lot before I go to sleep, but it doesn't seem to help.  I also wear gloves when outdoors (waterproof and warm), when dealing with the dogs or horses.

Any recommendations?   xx

roetta

Re: Splitting skin on hands
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »
I get this all the time. My rheumy recommended cetaphil or just rubbing vaseline jelly on them. Neither seemed to help much. I'm certainly open for suggestions. It's only going to get worse over winter I fear.

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »
  Jaygee, you need to wear rubber gloves all round the house, don't have too hot a water when bathing ,etc'

You can try creams that contains   Urea,    (Not pee)  tho' I forget the name, ask Pharmacist!

This what our Doc gave my better half for his feet when they were in a dreadful state with dryness..You must keep at it tho'
      Keep up with the cod liver oils too..    hope you get relief soon, Dolly             

lori

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
I put baking soda  and safflower oil in my bath each day- helps keep my skin really soft. just be careful getting in andout- gets kinda slippery !!! try this plus good  body lotion. hope this helps someone

lori ;D

Epson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
I use what ever lube I have around the house and keep cracks covered with a banage until they have healed.  This keeps the affected area moist until it can heal.

Patze

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »
Yeah, know that splitting skin thing, I've had that almost as long as I can remember (precursor maybe?).     I too use a heavy cream during the winter and a lighter version during the warmer months, but it's a battle! 

Do you feel it when you're skin has split?  I used to be able to feel it, can't now a days, and only know it when I'm washing my hands or something similar.  Also get splitting of the skin where my limbs meet the body, and my ears - very weird.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen