Author Topic: 10 minutes / 30 day commitment, who will join me?  (Read 49718 times)

genko_b

Re: 10 minutes / 30 day commitment, who will join me?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
I just got back from the teahouse in the Japanese Garden where I'm in class all day on Wednesdays (studying in the morning, teaching in the afternoon). I spent some time at the break walking around the garden and enjoying all the Japanese maples that are at their peak right now. I may take my sister over there tomorrow afternoon to take some pictures.

Genko

newtosjs

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »
OK, I made it! Sat on the porch, read for 15 minutes while waiting for my son to get off the bus. Also, saw my dogs running down the street when I returned from the store, so walking after them definitely put me over that 10 minutes. Glad to see everyone jumping in here, it will be so good for all of us. There are a few who have already put me to shame though. Will have a busier day to report soon!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »
Day 2

Happy Thursday to you all.   ;D  Today is Day 2 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

To date, we have 22 members who are participating in this venture.   ;D  IF you are reading this and figure you have missed out because we've already started . . . . think again!!  We'd love to have you join us.    It doesn't matter where in the 30 day journey you join us as long as you are willing to jump in and be a part of it.  Growing up I was always the shy one (I know, hard for some of you to believe that, but it's true).  I would sit on the sidelines and wish I was doing what the others were doing but nobody asked me to join them and I didn't want to do it by myself.  The older I get, I don't want to miss any opportunities any more.  Each day we're given 24 hours - a brand new day.  I want to make the most of that time.  I don't want any regrets.

Today here in IL it's going to be a rainy day all day.  Not the best day to be outside.  However, I went out on the porch and spent some time with our outdoor cat, Spooky.  I also took my camera with me and took pictures of the beautiful red maples out in our front yard before all the rain and wind blow their leaves away.  I wanted to capture "today" on my camera.  Later, I can look thru these pictures and remember this day and all the beauty of nature.   While outside I could hear and see all the animals preparing for winter.  The geese are heading back to Canada (don't they know it's warmer here than up North?? ).  Mr. squirrel is busy gathering nuts (he doesn't know this, but yesterday I collected half an ice cream pail full for him to give him later in winter).  The birds are sweetly singing as they go about their day.   ;D  After all this, I headed back inside as my bones and rain don't really like each other.   ::)  However, I'm glad I spent the time outside getting some fresh air and observing all that is going on outside my door.

The next person who joins our group if you could put #23 after your name that will help us keep track of everyone.  Thanks.

I hope today is a good day for everyone.   ;D

Bucky

Each day I'm going to leave you with a little quote from various books I have.  Yesterday and todays quote is from a book called Life's Little Instruction Book by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

"If you want to do something and you feel in your bones that it's the right thing to do, do it.  Intuition is often as important as the facts."
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

jpd54

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »
Best idea I have heard in a long time.  Glad to join in.

jpd #23
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Karyn

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
Hi, I don't know if there has been anyone else since you wrote or not, but I will be #23 or whatever is next.  I have already been out for about twenty minutes today.  I have miniature donkeys, so I fed them and then picked up a few black walnuts.

Nans

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »
Wow - in addition to feeding the livestock yesterday, I spent about two hours outside cleaning and painting the posts on our front porch.  It was such a glorious day - sunny and about 70 degrees F.  It was rather windy, though, and my eyes were killing me all last evening.  I'm guessing it was the wind.  Today, the joints in my right hand are killing me.  It's always something!!   ;)  I still have two to finish so I had better get out there and get painting before it starts raining here in Indiana.

Have a great day everybody!!   ;D

Nancy

jaygee

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »
It's dark and wet here this evening.  Just eaten dinner and about to set off with my three dogs up the field to see the horses.  The horses stay out overnight whilst it's still mild enough, but they are all cosy as they have on their warm waterproofs  ;D   However, they will be glad of the lovely meadow hay I will put out in the field for them, as the grass is losing its goodness now that it's Autumn.  They will cuddle up to me to see if I have any apples (which I might  ;)) and the dogs will have a good run around the fields.

Don't much feel like putting on wellington boots, and hooded anorak, but know I will feel much better when I get back inside again, knowing the animals had a nice time too.   ;D   Also hubby is not away on business this week, so I have company too  :D

I have to be up far too early tomorrow, as I have a business appointment a long drive away, so I will try not to chat too late on here later  ::)   Hope you have all enjoyed your breath of fresh air today!  xx

Epson

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Call me Buzz Killington if you like, but here are some facts about sunshine and Vitamin D that you shold know.

In the winter, it's impossible to produce vitamin D from the sun if you live north of Atlanta because the sun never gets high enough in the sky for its ultraviolet B rays to penetrate the atmosphere. But summer is a great time to stock up on the nutrient. When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun?in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen?will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin.

jordozmom

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
This is so fantastic!  Woo-hoo!  I'm in, but I've lost track of what number I am - 24?  25?  I'm a day late, but I'm going to count the walk I took the night before last and the time on the car lot car shopping yesterday - how's that?  This is great - it is raining here in central Illinois, but I'll find a way to get out tonight.  Good time to clean up and sweep the covered porch!!!  Thank you for coordinating this, Bucky
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

ruby52

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
I'm in a little late but I must be nu.25.I either walk around the yard or sit on the porch while puppy runs around anyway.I'll pay attention and stay out 10min. from now on.My goal will be to not sit but walk around the yard I think for some exercise.The fresh air helps clear the mind I've noticed.
                                                     Ruby

skygirl

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »
To be honest, with depression and all, and working with the computer,
I stay indoors 24/7....It has been like this for a few years now...

I think that is probably a bad thing? Never get any sun?

43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

genko_b

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
Proof I took my sister to the Japanese Garden today for photographs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genko_b/

We were there for at least an hour, then went to my house for hot tea. The rains are supposed to set in tonight, and last for days.

Inspired by Bucky, here is a haiku for today by the great Japanese haiku poet Basho:

A hundred years!
All here in this garden
in the fallen leaves.

And here's another haiku especially for Epson (and no I didn't make this one up, Basho wrote it as well):

A rolling cloud - like
a dog pissing on the run -
Dense winter showers.

I'll have my umbrella ready for tomorrow's ten minutes.

Genko

roetta

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
It's so much fun seeing what everyone did with their "outside time." Nothing too exciting here, sat outside with my hubby and talked about how Sjogren's has changed our lives and how to deal with the uncertain future. It was a lot nicer talking about it outside with the flowers and sunshine than inside for sure! Everyone have a nice night!

Catilee2

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
hi everyone!
     Sounds great. count we in with the others!! Even when it rains or snows!  ( We have some in the forecast for next week!)
Catilee2

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
Day 3

IT'S FRIDAY!!!   ;D  Today is Day 3 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

To date, we have 27, maybe 29 members who are participating in this venture.  I'm not sure on two people . . . . Buzz Killington . .aka Epson . . . are you in or not???  I also wasn't sure if Skygirl was in or just making a comment?   We'd love to have both of you along if you want to join us. 

It's another rainy day here in IL.  I spent my time standing on the front porch letting the cool misty rain blowing in the breeze hit my face.  Kinda felt like a cool mist humidifier.   :D  When it rains here the air just "smells" so crisp . . so clean.  As I stood looking at those two beautiful maple trees in the front yard blazing in their bright orange and red leaves I noticed one lone green leaf on the tip of a branch.  Just one.  Then I got to wondering why this particular leaf stayed green when all the other leaves have changed colors?  Hmmmmm  Even in nature there can be differences among things that appear to be the same.  That one green leaf is blowing in the breeze just like all the rest of the leaves on that tree.  It doesn't matter that it's different in color.   It just doesn't matter!!   ;D

Once we get the numbering of members participating straightened out, then it's onward and upward . . . we're pushing 30 people!!  Woohoo!!

With the weekend coming up, don't stop . .  . spend your 10 minutes outside EVERY day.  Whenever you can fit the 10 minutes in.  Even if it's before you go to bed at night - you can step outside and look up into the heavens and just marvel at this huge universe we all share.   ;D

I hope today is a good day for everyone.   ;D

Bucky

"We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be the past.  And we must respect the past, remembering that once it was all that was humanly possible."                   Geroge Santayana
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)