Author Topic: Plaquenil - How long to take effect?  (Read 2780 times)

warmwaters

• Never, never, neverĀ  quit - Winston Churchill
Plaquenil - How long to take effect?
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:23:16 PM »
I've read here the Plaquenil may take 4-6 months to take effect.  For those who've been through it, what was the experience of "feeling better" like?  Was it one day you got up and felt much more lively?  Or was it a gradual thing? What aspects felt better?

I'm just going into my fourth month on Plaquenil, and hoping to see some improvement soon.  I'm feeling pretty impatient, and thought I'd ask this very knowledgeable crowd what it was like.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, flomax, various inhalers
Bonus vitamins:  D,B1, B6, B12, Calcium

Poochie

Re: Plaquenil - How long to take effect?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »
Hi WW,
Yep, I was just like you the first time I was taking Plaquenil.  "Hurry up, show me".  Well, I got really upset about 5 1/2 months into it and stopped taking it.  I thought, "If this isn't going help, I am not going to take it". 

Well, about 2 weeks into my "stop" program, I suddenly realized it was helping me.  It was so gradual that until I stopped, I didn't realize that I wasn't as tired all the time.  I didn't ache quite so much, and my eyes and mouth weren't as dry. 

I started back up and it took me about a month to 2 months to get back on track.  I've been taking it for about 3 yrs. this time.  My rheumy took me off of it for a year.  It seems to be the usual thing, because several other members had to do the same thing. 

I was really glad when my rheumy gave me the go ahead to start it again.

I hope you will give it a chance and look for some little sign that it is working. 

Pooh

Babs659

• "LIVE YOUR LIFE"
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
I agree with Poochie.  I had the same experience.
52 year old female with Sjs, Hashimoto's, hypertension, osteopenia, rosacea, Raynaud's, GERD, ANA homogenous 1:1280.  Plaquenil, Synthroid, Evoxac, Aciphex, Quinipril, Vit D.

tomsmom

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
I've been on Plaquenil for 3 months and like you, I'm waiting for a huge improvement.  But I'm told that it can take up to 6 months to start feeling a significant benefit.  Still waiting...
Myasthenia Gravis, Secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, Raynauds, Graves Disease, Hypertension, Hiatal Hernia.

Meds: Toprol XL, Plaquenil, Mestinon, Protonix, Fish Oil, Vitamin D
34 yr old stay at home mommy

babycakes

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:19:43 PM »
hi there

ive been on plaq fora year now and have felt a considerable change.  Within 2 months i noticed less tiredness and the vascullitis like rash on lower legs went and never came back.  Also glands went down and i stopped getting ill as much.  by 8 months the aches and terrible body pains had subsided.  I feel so much better and fingers crossed, this continues.  I do know some people take longer than others but i think i was in such a bad way before that i noticed the difference straight away.  Some things have got worse, numbness, burning nerve issues etc but i guess it doesnt help with those type of issues.

good luck

annie

Blue Kat

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
I've been on Plaquenil since the first of August and I'm still waiting.  I look forward to when it does kick in, though.   :)

Katmandu

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
I've been taking Plaquenil for about 5 years now....When I started it, the improvement was gradual. And then one day, I  realized that I was reaching over my head without pain in my shoulders. As I thought about it, I realized that many other small activities that had hurt before were no longer so painful. I had that same experience of having to stop taking it for a while, and the joint aches returned very quickly.
The fatigue is better on the Plaquenil, but it doesn't take much for me to overdo it. I really have to pace myself.

watoozie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
I have Lupus and Sjogrens and been on Plaquenil for about 4 1/2 yrs.  It took a good 4 months for me, I was in such bad shape by the time they diagnosed me any slight improvement I felt.  I sure wouldn't want to go off of it.  Hope you feel the benefits soon.  My headache is gone, my rashes are gone, my joints feel better, I'm not as tired, if I could only sleep, I'd feel great!!!  lol  I had to go off my Restoril because it was causing heart pounding.  I've had a couple bad flares, but still didn't feel as bad as before Plaquenil.  Good luck!!