Author Topic: Frequent Dosing of Restasis  (Read 4625 times)

Sjenny

Frequent Dosing of Restasis
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted.

A study from Harvard Medical School demonstrated that dosing with Restasis 3-4 times daily (instead of twice daily as is the normal regimen) gave significant improvement to 72.7% of patients with severe dry eye who had not had much success with the twice a day dosage (6 out of the 9 Sjorgren's patients demonstrated significant improvement).

http://dryeyedigest.blogspot.com/2009/09/abstract-high-frequency-use-of-restasis.html

Regards,
Sue
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:30:28 PM by Sjenny »

irish

Re: Frequent Dosing of Restasis
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »
That is interesting. However, I wonder what concentration of Restasis they are using. There was supposed to be a weaker one put on the market. I know that I have taken my Restasis 3 times occasionally having to do with my inability to remember if I took it or not. I have had a couple days that I thought is made by eyes burn. Who knows with this stuff. Guess I will just keep on the 2 times a day till I hear different. If that will be the new norm it will be darn expensive. Irish ;D

karenboss

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
it says the strenght is .05% - I'm going to try it - I'm going to ad a dose, so it will be 3 x day - see what happens.

thanks for the post -

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
It's a study done on a very small sample, but the fact that the only negative side effects were irritation makes me hopeful. 

The only trick is fitting it into a schedule. With having to keep open vials in the fridge, it makes it complicated to use it more than just in the morning and at night. 
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Hi - could one keep a vial in a thermos flask with ice?
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

karenboss

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
 :o I didn't know they are supposed to be refrigerated.  Really?  How many doses do you get out of a little vial?  These are those "single use" vials, right? ???

ohiolady

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:04:53 PM »
I've been on Restasis for 3 years and have never refrigerated and my doctor does not tell me to do this.  I've taken vials in a zip lock bag so that I can do my evening dose.  Sometimes I get 3 doses out of a vial so it is open for 24 hours, all with the doctors ok.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 58

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
A lot of people on this board have been told by their doctors to refrigerate a vial after opening it to use a second time.  Since it doesn't have preservatives, keeping it cool makes it less likely to develop an issue with bacteria. 

Restasis even used to offer a little blue stand to keep an open vial upright back when the top didn't pop back on so that it could be stored for a second use.  I suspect that Ohiolady is right, that like preservative free eye drops, Restasis is OK open and used a second time w/in 24 hours, I just try to be extra careful with it. 
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Ohiocat

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
I use each vial just twice and then toss.   (as per Dr instructions and he did not say it needed any refrigration.   

But here is the funny part about it.

When I first started using it, I would open a new one in the morning and then I would have to worry about where I was going to be in the evening and whether or not I could just leave the it at home.  Being very confused what to do if I was going to be somewhere else for the night.

Then suddenly it dawned on me.  Where ever I go to bed, it is the same place I am going to wake up at!  (Rather obvious, but can't believe how long it took me to realize this!  :D)

So now I open the vial for the evening dose, and behold, it is there in the morning when I wake up.  With no worries about transporting the vial anywhere while it is open!  Amazing how that works!  ;D

It would not work if you are using the vial more than twice.  But for the twice usage it works out great.
female 53, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears every 2 hours, Refresh PM at night, Restasis twice daily;

irish

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
My DIL is an optometrist who is hot on the trail of any sjogrens information. At one of the conventions it was mentioned that the Restasis can be used for 4 doses. Also, doesn't need to be refrigerated if kept "safe". I solved the problem by taking a taller plastic margarine container and line it with kleenex to support the little blue stand with my Restasis. I put the cover on the container and the air currents and bacteria stay away!!!

I have been on the Restasis since spring of 2004 and never had any problems with eye infections, etc. Irish ;D

songbird

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
I did something similar Irish..I had misplaced my little blue thingy so I used a knife and cut a slit in a jewelry box lid and then just slid the vial down in it...it fit very well. Worked great ...and then we went on a trip and low a behold my blue thing was in my suit case.lol But at least I have a back up plan.

I was just talkin to my husband tonight I still have trouble keeping up with my eyedrop regiment. Then I sure remember when my eyebal feels like its gonna fall out. But the drops often make my eyes sting...but without them my eyes throb and at times feel like they dont fit in the socket...so sting or throb...Its a tough call. Which do I want to deal with.hummm today I choose STING! its a winner.lol

karenboss

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:46:43 AM »
Ohio!   :D  ha ha - you are more interesting than me!  My restasis is always in the same place anyway - not only do I always wake up in the same place I go to sleep, I always go to sleep in the same place that I wake up.... (boring old married gal)

allium

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
After seeing the optho yesterday, here are some relevent tidbits to throw on here:

I refridgerated my open vials at first, then now I just cap them and leave them where they are.. no problems.  Chill them if you want.

I started out at two doses a day, with little improvement.  Three months ago, I upped it to three, and seemed to be getting better.  I am now starting a 4 dose a day (that usually runs about a vial every 1 1/2 days) regimen, and think it's making a difference.

During the discussion about this with the doctor yesterday, he restated that he's no big fan of Restatsis in it's common form (the cyclosporine is in a very low concentration), but, said if I think it helps, then four doses are fine.  Any harmful elements are very low, so I could take a bath in it if I wanted and it wouldn't hurt me (his words...hee hee).

Instructions for using the vial for four drops and throwing it away is a combination of liability issues (the very small chance of contamination) and fattening the bottom line by the company (IMHO).  I think your expense would be no more by using the vial until it's gone compared to throwing it away two thirds full.

Perhaps this evidence will make them develop a higher concentration of cyclosporine doseage drops in the future. 

Sheila

irish

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »
songbird, Have you tried doing the saline drops 15 minutes before the Restasis and again 15-20 minutes after??? When I forget to take a dose a couple of times in a week I start to have dry eyes. So, I have to make sure that I do them as ordered. Also, my DIL(the optometrist) says that keeping them in the refrigerator can help the eyes feel better if stinging/dryness are a problem. Must be like a cold pack on an "owie". Irish ;D

songbird

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 12:41:22 AM »
No I havent tried that Irish ...but guess what ..I will be puttin the cold pack on the owie...for sure. haha! Thanks!