Author Topic: Low Vitamin D Level: What does it mean?  (Read 16848 times)

Navigator

Re: Low Vitamin D Level: What does it mean?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
The first treatment my Rheumy put me on was 50,000 IU Vit D. three times a week for three months...I have no idea how low I was but I must have been off the chart.  Since then I take 2000IU every day and my level is at 48.  The range is 30-100 at the lab I use. The dr. said that in his experience people with higher Vit. D. levels do better if it comes to cancer in the future..good enough reason for me to boost the level.. I have read studies that support that thought.  Vit. D. is an immune system modulator among its many functions which was why my Rheumy tried to see if I would get better with higher D before bringong out the other guns...it is hard with this disease to figure out whether something had an impact or your body just came out of a flare on its own.  So I can not say.   I had no problem tolerating the doseage so for now will keep at it...since I have blood tests every 6 mos. if it got too high its easy to pare back.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Shashi11962

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
My vitamin D level was 23, even though I was taking 2,000 U daily. My doctor prescribed 50,000 U once a week for 12 weeks, and I now take 4,000 U a day as well. It hasn't helped at all with my muscle spasms, but whether it does or not, I know my body has to have it.

bloodless

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
Good post. The doc recently prescribed me some and I had no idea why. I'm so used to being handed drugs now, I've forgotten to ask any more. Glad I ran across this post.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Patze

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
Hi Shashi,

Yeah, am on it once a week again, and then go back to once a month where the level promptly drops again, and this cycle has been repeated several times already ::).  Hopefully the rheumy will go from one a week to once every two or three weeks, as the monthly thing just ain't working.

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen