Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: susanep on September 03, 2010, 12:40:48 AM

Title: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: susanep on September 03, 2010, 12:40:48 AM
I have took in one paper to the office over where I worked declaring retirement due to disability. I will recieve my last check as a teacher Friday.

I have other forms to get going, but need to make some calls on some things I need to know more about.

A big problem I have is with my psychiatrist who was going to fill out papers for me with no problem and if anyone understood she did, because she has lupus. Well, she ended up closing office going out on disability herself in July. We can't seem to find a way now to get hold of her to see if she would feel out my paper work.

I think she work very independently. She did not have an answering service. Her usual cell phone number does not work now. How can I get this done? I would appreciate any suggestions. I really need both my rhuemys input and hers.

Thanks Everyone
I will post more in general when I get all this done, hopefully soon.
I love all of you, be well

susanep :)
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: Cheryl on September 03, 2010, 04:19:03 AM
Susan, do you have her mailing address?  I'm sure she has forgotten about your situation because she's caught up in her own.  Try sending her a card wishing her well in retirement, and ask if she can possibly still help you out with the paperwork.  Good luck!
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: Seeker on September 03, 2010, 07:19:04 AM
G'day, susanep If the card doesn't work, you can try asking the AMA or do a people search on the net.  She must have referred her other patients to other doctors.  If worse comes to worse contact a Lawyer who specializes in disability cases and let them handle it.  I hope some of the suggestions will help.

Good luck
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: navydad on September 03, 2010, 07:57:33 AM
She couldnt have just dropped off the planet,, did you ask at the office where she worked at where she went,,, she has to be somewhere,, and isnt thee somome else in the practice you can see,,,
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: susanep on September 03, 2010, 08:30:10 AM
She didn't have anyone take over her practice.  She just sent a list of other names to try to continue treatment. We will probably try AMA. iT'S A PAIN. I will find her address where she lives if I have and go there.

I need my paperwork done and in so I can get things done and get a check within a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks everyone
susanep :)
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: eyeamdry on September 03, 2010, 03:41:53 PM
It seems she would have had to pass her medical records to someone, or an agency, an attorney, or she still has them. 

Susan, do everything you can do to get social security disability.  If your job had short term insurance, you must file for that right away.  I did and got it and that led me into the social security.  I think if you get the short term, it's easier to get SSD. Remember, you may be sick, but you are also likely entitled to sick pay, maybe medical insurance paid for a time.  Good luck and keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

It doesn't have to be your psych necessarily who fills out the paperwork.  Any doctor you've used recently.  My GP did mine and after that, the other docs fell into line.  Lucy
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: irish on September 03, 2010, 04:56:30 PM
Susan, I am sitting here trying to think of things and it came to me that maybe the Chamber of Commerce in town might know where she is or some idea how to get ahold of her. I am also thinking that if you mail to her old office address she should be having her mail forwarded. Seems like the post office does that for many months. Good luck. Irish ;D
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: Madderakka on September 03, 2010, 05:41:47 PM
You could try calling the names on the list to see if anyone could pass a message for you.

Good luck!
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: BonusMom on September 03, 2010, 05:56:59 PM

When you send the disability form to your mental health professional, send it in a business size, white envelope addressed to her at her last known address (be sure to include any suite number, if applicable).  Include your complete return address.  About 1/2" below your return address write ADDRESS CORRECTION REQUESTED.  I would highlight it just to make sure the carrier sees it-but that's me.  This obligates the post office to return the envelope to you with her NEW address, if she filed a change of address with the postal service.

Another suggestion is to contact the licensing board in your state for her specalty.  For instance, in Ca, if she's an LCSW, that's the behavioral health board, a Psychiatrist, that's the medical board, etc.  They may have an updated address as licensees are mandated to report new addresses.

If those don't work, PM me.
Title: Re: Need Some Disability Advice
Post by: Epson on September 03, 2010, 09:02:25 PM
This is the 21st century folks, with a computer and 25 dollars you can find anyone, except Jimmy Hoffa.